Duration: 6 Weeks
Form of Contract: Main Contractor
The beautiful grade II listed building ‘James Dun’s House was built in 1769 and was owned by James Dun who was the rector of AberdeenGrammar School which used to be located on Schoolhill Aberdeen before been moved in the 19th century. The building then later became a popular museum and gallery with changing exhibitions.
Due to this fact special care had to be taken converting this old building into a hair & beauty salon with extensive retail area, four basement health & beauty treatment rooms 2 of which with showers, large ground & first floor cutting rooms, backwash area, colour mixing area and café.
To the ground floor you can see Aveda’s retail area sets off the feel to this remarkable space with bespoke retail unitary situated on a new Peron pebbled resin floor, counter and island unit all manufactured by hand in our factory and transported to Aberdeen.. The centre seating and display island unit was structurally supported by steel beams which we installed in the basement.
The cutting stations comprised of 8 bespoke manufactured stations to the ground floor and 12 stations to the large open space of the first floor. A bespoke hand made planter unit was manufactured in house and fitted in front of the back wash stations to add a little privacy for customers.
The fire doors to the retail area were required to be open at all times as they were part of an elaborate leaf graphic visual which hid them so we had to place the doors on concealed floor springs and automatic fire door catches so if there was an emergency / fire the doors would automatically release and close meeting the latest fire control regulations.
This project encompassed the following; walnut timber flooring throughout, full decoration, bespoke hand made joinery including lighting rafts & cutting stations, first & second fix electrical, bespoke illuminated mirrors, general joinery and tailor made cabinetry throughout the building, plumbing & tiling.